Cross country skiing on Loop 1B at West Summit of Rabbit Ears Pass, CO 2-12-2018

Back up to Rabbit Ears Pass on a quieter weekday; only saw a few other snowshoer/skier groups today.  Overcast and snowing off and on, but temps in the 20's so nice conditions for cross-country skiing.  I did the longer of the two loops on the north side of the West Summit, loop 1B, about 5 miles, and as are all of the trails in this area, it's up and down.  Just north of Rabbit Ears Pass there is a snotel site that I believe has the highest average snowfall in CO.  The storm track tend to dump a lot of snow up here and it is known for it's "champagne" powder (Nearby Steamboat Springs ski area, talks up its champagne powder).  I worked harder on this 5 mile loop than I have on many 8 or 9 mile trips I have done elsewhere, where it is more up all the way out, and down all the way back.














Comments