Knee injuries and reading lists

Well, just when I was getting into my olympics skiing form (not), a Mary Jane bump bit me hard.  It was inevitable that it would happen, since it was all black bump runs all the time.  Lying in the snow I knew right away that,  oh boy you really blew it this time.  Some would say it was poetic justice, for the day of the big fall was Valentine's Day - and instead of hanging out with the love of my life, Donna on that day, I was skiing at Mary Jane.  Anyway, my self diagnosis was a torn MCL on the left knee.  Why self diagnosis you might ask - as well you might.  Well, the high deductible health plan meant that the doctor visits, X-Rays, and maybe an MRI would all be on my nickel.  Thanks to the internet, I am quite confident that it was indeed a torn MCL - and the cure was RICE (rest, ice, compression and elevation).  So RICE it was for about a month.

  Which leads me to books, favorite authors and books.  I had some time on my hands, so lots of reading (which I love anyway) was on the agenda, while I was "RICEing".  Thanks to my good long-term friend Brad (we go back to 8th grade), and fellow retiree (many years retired), I had no shortage of books to read.  We kind of have a default book group - Brad buys all of these books at used book stores, etc., reads alot, picks out his favorites and passes them on to me to read, and I pick out the favorites from that group and pass them on to Donna to read.

So here is a partial list of some of my favorites, mostly recent reading, but a few from years ago, that I particularly have liked.  I'll add to it as time goes on, and assuming anyone ever reads any of this verbage, I'd love to hear recommendations from anyone.


Books I’ve liked
Devotion by Howard Norman
The Bird Artist by Howard Norman
Atonement by Ian McEwan
The Blue Afternoon by William Boyd
The Ice-Cream War by William Boyd
Brazzaville Beach by William Boyd
The Things They Carried by Tim O’Brien
A Very Long Engagement by Sebastien Japrisot
The Welsh Girl by Peter Ho Davies
The Company You Keep by Neil Gordon
The Barracks by John McGahern
After This by Alice McDermott
Homer and Langley by E.L. Doctorow
The Big Rock Candy Mountain by Wallace Stegner
Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner
Recapitulation by Wallace Stegner
East of Eden by John Steinbeck
Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
Cannery Row by John Steinbeck
By A Slow River by Phillppe Claudel
The Surrendered by Chang-Rae Lee
The Madonnas of Leningrad by Debra Dean

Authors I like

Howard Norman

Wallace Stegner

John Steinbeck

Tim O’Brien

William Boyd

Comments