Escalante School - student teaching and career choices

Monday morning and Anna takes off for Escalante elementary school where she is student teaching 1st grade.  Escalante elementary is a Title One School, so basically all the kids come from low income homes, free lunch etc.  Anna's mentor teacher is Tilly Uribe, who is a great teacher - she recently one a national teacher's award and got flown to Washington DC and met President Obama.  Tilly is also a single Mom of 4, and a graduate of Anna's school, Westminster College.  Anna loves teaching the kids (she is blogging about her experience (Anna Full of Grace on Blogspot)).  We had so much fun visiting her class - we jumped in on the activity that morning which was thinking up things (and writing them down) for a witches brew.  I think Mr. H, and Mrs. H did ok - Anna is Ms. H, Tilly is Mrs. Uribe.

We were so proud of Anna - watching her teach, seeing how much the kids loved her, and how highly regarded the staff felt about her.

A quick side story - Mrs. Hall another 1st grade teacher stopped by, and we briefly visited - later she told Anna that we must have had Anna when we were really young, because we were still so young (she was 56, and we are not quite as young as she thought Donna is 58, me almost 59).  That's our story and we are sticking to it, and Mrs. Hall - the check is in the mail.

I got some pictures of the whole gang.  Notice that Tilly also has a wounded wing - rotator cuff surgery - so she and Donna had matching slings.

Definitely made me think about the career choice I made (or more accurately drifted into).  I think I was good at what I did, but being a water coordinator for corporate America was not exactly a passion of mine.  At the end of the day, I guess I had a really good job, but at best a mediocre career.  Fairly disappointing considering my education level and early academic success.  But on the other hand I am retired and there is a lot to be said for that ( a whole lot to be said about that!).  So if I had to do it all over again what would I choose - two careers come to mind, teaching or medicine - both helping professions.  Maybe next time (if I don't come back as a slug).

At least two of the three kids are pursuing careers that they have a lot of passion for - Anna-teaching, Kirsten-Graphic design and Women's studies.  I suspect they will do well and feel good about the choices they have made.  Jury is still out on Colin, although he is back in school, currently exploring Mechanical Engineering, which may also prove to be a field he will be passionate about.  Donna likewise chose well with Occuaptional Therapy, eventually focusing on young children - she was masterful at what she did, and she loved working with the kids (other aspects of the job, less so, but there are always challenges no matter what you do).

Ok enough of that rambling.  Here are the pictures at Anna's school.









Comments