Day 4 AM, Colorado fall trip, Hike up Middle Fork of Cimmaron River

 30 degrees this morning (26 degrees yesterday morning), but nice and toasty in my now close to 50 year old 0 degree goose down bag.  Getting out of it first thing is another matter, however.  Coffee, oat squares, break camp and head up the mile to the Middle Fork trailhead.  I solo backpacked here in June 2012.  Colin backpacked here a couple of times and he said it was his favorite of the Uncompahgre valley hikes.  I think the last time he did it was with Chris, and he got some great Milky Way shots.  Oh how I wish he were still here so I could share my adventures with him.    It was a beautiful blue sky day, met one couple going in, and one group on my way back down, otherwise all by myself.  the trail starts at 10,000 feet and the  beautiful upper valley is at 11,200 feet plus, surrounded by gorgeous peaks including Coxcomb Peak.  The beginning of the trail Precipice peak and courthouse mountain loom over the river valley.  It’s all very dramatic.   A 7.5 mile RT hike with 1200 feet of elevation gain.



































Comments