San Rafael Swell North Unit Utah, November 2020

 Drove out to Utah, to tour and hike in the San Rafael Swell Area west of Green River, Utah.  I was going to spend three nights in that area and then swing up to Anna’s house for one night to pick up the books we left in Saint George, but car troubles switched the itinerary.  Almost rolled the car along I-70 going around a curve,  got to Grand Junction and discovered the right rear tire was almost flat...2.5 hours later, Discount Tire had yanked a very large “hook” out of the tire and repaired it, and after a jump (battery died too while they were working on the car, I was on my way again, but that shot most of that day, and this was the second time the battery had died in 6 weeks, so I headed up to SLC and spent two nights with Anna, Nic and Aria so I could buy a new car battery at Costco.  Got to hang out with Aria so that was enjoyable.  Headed down to the San Rafael Swell on Thursday, where I did a driving tour of part of the north unit, taking in the Little Grand Canyon of the San Rafael overlook, and other dramatic scenery before camping at my trailhead for the next day.  It got down to 15 degrees overnight, but I stayed warm enough in my 0 degree bag, just barely, and it was challenging getting up in the middle of the night to pee, and getting up in the morning was a real act of will.  I hiked 12 miles RT on Friday into the Little Grand Canyon, a really nice hike...saw a couple and their dog for all of 15 seconds, otherwise didn’t see another person on the hike,  and then drove all the way back home arriving around 10:30PM.  A short visit to this beautiful and rarely visited area.


































































Comments