Peak Wildflowers in the Wetterhorn Basin with Brad and Jeff August 2019

Over the years the Uncompahgre Wilderness has become a favorite backpacking destination for me in Colorado.  It's located in the Southwest part of the state, near one of my favorite places, Ridgway, CO.  My friend Jeff from Minnesota contacted me and asked if I was planning on going backpacking this summer, and that led to this trip with Jeff and Brad.  I was in the Wetterhorn Basin two years ago and was so impressed I picked it for our destination, since Brad had never been there and Jeff had never backpacked anywhere.  Jeff drove out and arrived in Littleton on Saturday (the same day I drove back from SLC after Anna and Aria were here for a week).  We drove to the trailhead on Monday morning, and started hiking a little after 1 PM.  We hiked up 1400 feet and set up camp about 800 feet and a mile or so from West Fork Pass.  The next day we hiked up and over the pass and dropped back down 800 feet into the Wetterhorn Basin where we camped for two more nights before hiking out on Thursday.  We had near perfect weather and the wildflowers were at their peak.  Brad and Jeff both came away very impressed.  A fantastic trip!































































































































































Comments