In the shadow of Coxcomb Peak

Off to the beautiful Uncompahgre Wilderness - the so called Switzerland of America.  This is a volcanic region with spectacular and unique soaring mountains and beautiful glacieted valleys.  Two fourteeners (Uncompahgre and Wetterhorn) are here, but the approaches to these two peaks lie from the south, and the glaciered valleys all run from the north, so although the two fourteeners would suggest crowds, that isn't the case if you hike up one of the glaciered valleys from the south.  How uncrowded, you ask?          

I was back in for 3 nights and 4 days, and on two of the days, saw exactly 0 people.  The other two days I met one group hiking out as I hiked in, and a couple and their two dogs were camped at the other end of the upper valley my first night.  3 cars at the trail head when I started on Monday, and only one  car (other than mine) when I came out on Thursday.

This excursion into the wilderness was up the middle Fork of the Cimmaron River.  4.5 miles and1500 feet of elevation gain - mostly an easy hike with a few steep sections, and some downed trees to negotiate.  Two great day hikes to two different saddles, one about 1,000 feet of elevation gain with views of Uncompahgre, Matterhorn and Wetterhorn, and the upper end of the East Fork valley; the other day hike took me up to 12950 feet, and the foot of Coxcomb peak, with views to the west of Mt. Sneffels and a sea of peaks.  I was camped only about 5 miles as the crow flies from Capitol City, where Donna and I snowshoed in March, but probably 100 or so miles as the car drives.

It hit 100 degrees in Denver while I was gone, so very pleasant temps at 10,000 - 13,000 feet, mostly highs in the 60's, and not one cloud in the sky the entire 4 days - a first.  Just Colorado blue skies.  This was my fourth trip into the Uncompahgre Wilderness, one of my favorite Wilderness areas in the state.

Thanks to Colin for suggesting this particular trail- he and his friends backpacked here back in May, an unheard of early time to be up so high, but that's the kind of low snowpack, and hot weather we've had.

Only had the small camera, but still got some decent photos.


 Precipice Peak
 View at the start of the hike

 Falls on the Middle Fork of the Cimmaron River
 Middle Fork of the Cimmaron River valley
 Coxcomb Peak
 Trusty Addie
 Not a bad view!
 View from where I pumped water


 Addie at 12,600 feet
 Wetterhorn Peak
 Matterhorn Peak
 Uncompahgre Peak











Comments

  1. Wow Dad! That looks absolutely spectacular. Wish I could have been there!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment