Sooke BC August 15-23. 2026


 


Caught the 11:10 am ferry at Fulford Harbor, and then drove to the gardens at Royal Rhodes University.  Very nostalgic, but dramatically more busy than when we were there around 30 years ago with the kids.  Then a Costco run (crazy busy on a Saturday) before heading to my airbnb just outside of Sooke.

                                             Royal Roads University - Hatley Castle and gardens 


















                                                         Sooke Airbnb arrival 
Hiked 6 miles RT loop in East Sooke Regional PArk.  The coastal part (over half of the hike) was beautiful but many parts were very steep and difficult.




                                            Seal Petroglyph




















On Monday, I drove to Port Renfrew and walked Botany Bay and Botanical Beach….we had visited these 30 years ago…..back then my memory is we were mostly by ourselves…..today, I barely got a parking space.  Then, on the way back, I stopped at an entry point to the Juan de Fuca trail (it stretches perhaps 60 miles along the Juan de Fuca Straight coast and hiked 2.5 miles RT on the trail….saw 2 backpackers, that’s it, compared to a hundred plus people at Botanical Beach and Botany Bay.
























Hiked China Beach in Juan De Fuca Park on Tuesday.





























On Wednesday, I did a 8.5 mile paddle in Sooke Harbor.






















Hiked 8.25 mile loop in East Sooke Regional Park.  Much quieter day than last Sunday, saw a few people on coastal trail, nary a soul on the inland trail part of my loop.































Went to French Beach Provincial Park, then made a short stop at a pullout at Muir Creek, and picked blackberries, and then drove to Whiffin Spit and walked out to the end of the spit and back (1.5 miles  RT)
































On Saturday, I walked down the hill to Ella Beach, and then along the rocky coast all the way to Whiffin Spit, walked out to the end of the spit, and then walked back vis roads to my place…7.5 miles RT.









































Comments