The occasional joys of solitude


Some people recharge their batteries in a crowd, a lively discussion, a group activity...others alone at the sea, on a mountain, lost in a book.  I count myself among the latter.  I know, I know, many of my friends and family find it hard to believe that at heart, I am an introvert (can't we shut this guy up?).  Here are three quotes that summarize nicely my feelings about getting away from it all, communing with nature so to speak. 

Ordinary men hate solitude, but the master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness.  Tao De Ching

I find that in contemplating the natural world my pleasure is greater if there are not too many others contemplating it with me, at the same time.  Edward Abbey, Desert Solitaire

I believe that the appreciation and level of  awareness of one’s environment is diminished by a factor of the number of people in one’s party.  John Dowd, Sea Kayaking

A few random pics from the archives.

 Fire and sunset on Lac La Croix
 Sunset on the Big Sur coast
 Headwaters of Colorado River in winter
 View from Uncompahgre Wilderness campsite
View into Raggeds Wilderness from West Elk Wilderness

Comments

  1. We can certainly relate to your perspective. Karen is reading a book titled "Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking" by Susan Cain. She's discovered both the benefits and challenges of being an introvert in a largely extroverted world. The book is well researched, and has many examples that resonate with Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've put the book on my reading list - thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment