Great book, great author Brodeck by Phillipe Claudel - a continuing series perhaps?

My photos are better than my words, but here's no photos from me, and simply quotes from a good book by a good author.


Brodeck by Phillipe Claudel

The books dedication resounds with me.     all those who think they’re nothing.      For my wife and my daughter, without whom I wouldn’t be much.

I’m nothing, I know it, but my nothing comprises a little bit of everything.  Victor Hugo, The Rhine

The truth can gash you so deeply that you can’t live with the wounds any longer, and for most of us, what we want to do is live.  As painlessly as possible.

She’s so beautiful that I wonder what it was I did to make her take an interest in me one day.

People talk a good deal, and so often with so little to say.

Saintliness is very odd.  When people encounter it, they often take it for something else, something completely unlike it:  indifference, mockery, scheming, coldness, insolence,perhaps even contempt.  But they’re mistaken, and that makes them furious.  They commit an awful crime.  This is doubtless the reason why most saints end up as martyrs.

I thought that God, if he existed, must be quite a strange character, who chooses to allow trees to live peacefully for centuries, but makes man’s life so brief and so hard.

Regret costs nothing.  It allows you to wash your hands and your memory, to cleanse them thoroughly and make them pure and white.

It’s the death of others, of loved ones, not our own, which eats away at us and can destroy us.

Anger and hatred suffice to scramble human brains more thoroughly than brandy can.

As Pieper (priest) used to teach us, that many men are unworthy of Him (God), but now I know that He too, is unworthy of most of us, and that if the creature is capable of producing horror, it’s solely because his Creator has slipped him the recipe for it.

Stupidity is a sickness that goes very well with fear.

Murderers, whether of animals or of men, rarely reflect on the deed they do.

Comments