Day hike to Bear Lakes, Mount Zirkel Wilderness July 8, 2020

Got up the next morning to no/low bugs because it was 41 degrees, which I’ll take any day over mosquitos, had my morning mug of coffee, and some oat squares and hit the trail.  I ended up hiking 14 miles RT, with a total elevation gain of 2800 feet (there was some up and down...went up 400 feet immediately, then back down 400 feet then up 2000 feet and down 400 feet to the lakes).  Long day (I was out for 10.5 hours) but really nice area and saw no other people.  Saw a moose and bald eagle at the lakes (fairly fleeting, so no photos) and a couple of deer on the way down.  Lakes were beautiful.  Snowfields still lingering above 10,000 feet.  Got within 200 feet below continental divide on both hikes.  Skeeters were prevalent Particularly at the stream crossing coming and going at mile 1.5 and again at 12.5.  Drove home after getting back to the car...didn’t even change into my road clothes initially because of the literally clouds of bugs..waited until I got back to paved road in ranch country before pulling over and changing.






































































Comments