Solo kayaking trip - Cortes, Reid, Rendevous Islands area BC July 2018

Pip and Derrick took Donna to the airport and I headed north.  A quick grocery and gas stop and I took the ferries across to Quadra and Cortes (I had to wait two hours for the Cortes ferry as the 5:05 was full.  "Dirtbag camping in my car at my Coulter Bay put in point on Cortes Island.  Gary and Brenda were there tow, and they started out the next morning about a half hour after I launched.  They were retired and now lived in Comox (Calgary previously) , about a block from where we stayed in Comox.  One night camped in the back end of Von Dolop Inlet on Cortes Island, and 3 nights in the Penn Islands - both locations I was camping by myself.  Met Doug and Diana back in the Von Dolop Inlet from Gig Harbor Washington who were cruising the area in their trawler boat (and I became even more convinced I would love to do exactly that...probably won'e but I would love to own a trawler and spend all summer cruising the inside passage and kayaking all over).  After leaving Von Dolop Inlet I went to the Penn Island Group off the coast of Reid Island, where after watching humpbacks from my camp, I decided to make that my base camp for the rest of my 5 day trip.  Saw humpbacks for 4 of my five days out, including three times where a humpback surfaced 50 feet in front of my kayak.  Saw hundreds of seals and baby seals, untold purple and orange starfish, bald eagles and spectacular scenery.  My camp was probably only 5 miles or so from the place we stay on Quadra Island, and yet felt much more remote than that.  Toured the Rendezvous Islands and made it into Whiterock Passage and West Redonda Island too.  Probably kayaked 10-20 miles each day.  This was truly an epic adventure!


















































































































































































































Comments