Donald Richard Halffield Sr. 10/17/24 - 5/19/18

Donald Richard Halffield Sr. - now that'a a mouthful.  My Dad would have been 94 today.  He died on May 19th after being in home hospice for the last 3-4 weeks of his life. I spent about half of May in Saint Charles both before he died and then returning about a week after he died.  I was the last real person he communicated with..telling me to drive safe when I left my last morning there.  He lasted about two more weeks, but pretty much quit talking and eating.  He seemed comfortable though and not in pain, so he went out pretty much as good as any of us could hope for.  Denise was with him the whole way, and he told me many times, he didn't know what he and my Mom would have done without her.

Born in the 1920's, grew up in the Great Depression in Berkeley, IL, served in the navy in the South Pacific in World War II, married Mom three years later, moved to Villa Park for their first 13 years of marriage, then moved out to Saint Charles where he spent the rest of his life, and worked for Commonwealth Edison for around 40 years.   To say that my Dad was a hobbyist would be putting it mildly...stamps, coins, Boy Scouts, and trains..he was into them all, but particularly trains....trust me I know...I hauled over 200 boxes of train "stuff" from the basement to the garage.  My Dad was a classic 1950's kind of father and husband...he was "the king" and pretty much got what he wanted, but he had a soft side to him too...I probably saw it the most as how kind and dedicated he was to my Uncle Tracy who was legally blind.

My friends remember him as a big jokester, and that was certainly my Dad too.  I think he would say he had a good life...and he did.












































Comments