Winter wonderland: January in Grand County, Colorado

Since I put 3000 miles on my car the first year I volunteered (2014/2015) with the National Sports Center for the Disabled, I decided to look into renting a small place for the first five week session of the NSCD and volunteer three days in a row (Tues, Wed., Thurs.).  I found a very reasonable studio condo in Granby that I got for only $39/night.  So I moved up to Granby for five weeks starting January 4th.  The plan was for Donna to come up for a weekend or too and join me for some snowshoeing but January proved to be an unhealthy month for Donna, first a viral cold and then influenza, which she is still recovering from.  I came back down for five days after the flu struck to help out, and then came back for another five day stint when Anna and Aria came for a visit.  Brad came up for a four day weekend and we snowshoed/cross-country skied 4 days together (seeing four moose).  Weather varied from -20 degrees F in the beginning (it was a whopping 0 degrees at noon the first day I went snowshoeing), to balmy 40's later.  Tons of snow every day initially, sunny skies later...some great trails in Rocky Mountain National Park, often seeing no one or maybe one or two other groups of people.  Three days in a row at NSCD was a workout for sure..some new students some "old" students, mildly to profoundly disabled folks...great fellow volunteers...and hopefully really fun days for the participants.  It was really nice not to have to drive the 150 miles RT to the ski area from home every time I volunteered.  Might try renting a place again next year, and hopefully Donna will be healthy next time..she would have loved the snowshoeing.

















































Comments