The Loneliest Road in America - US highway 50, across Nevada

On to California after a gorgeous drive through of the Colorado high country fall colors.  I'm camped in southern Utah near Canyonlands Needles District so I head up through Moab to I-70, and across the 100 miles or so of I-70 that traverses the San Rafael Fault among other remote locations.  I suspect this may be the longest stretch of a US interstate without any services (roughly between Green River and Salida, Utah).  In central Utah I connect with US 50 which I take across western Utah and all the way across Nevada.  This stretch of road is known as the loneliest road in America.  My friend Brad told us a few years ago "that we had to do this drive".  We drove it a couple of years ago coming back from Carmel and the Big Sur coast of CA, and while it is indeed a very lonely stretch of roadway, we didn't find it to be quite as enthralling as Brad did.  On this my second time across, this time east to west, it was perhaps a bit more enthralling, but just a bit.  If you are looking to escape it all, I suppose this should go on your list.  All of the towns in Nevada (that I've seen - perhaps with the exception of Carson City) are not particularly appealing from my way of thinking - they all have the feel of either hardscrabble mining towns or gambling meccas (such as Las Vegas, which holds no appeal to me or Reno, which at least is near Tahoe and the Sierra's - thus gaining some redeeming value).  Anyway, there is a stark beauty to some of the landscape though - definitely the wild west.











Comments